Monday, March 23, 2015

Walking with the Word...

I went for a walk in a part of our new neighborhood that I hadn't seen before. I mean I had ridden through it in the car, but I hadn't really "seen" it. They are beautiful, grand homes, most of them on a lake, with well-taken care of yards.As I paid close attention to the architecture, I saw many patterns. I began to think of how the materials reflect the make-up of our lives. Some of the homes had rough, uneven stonework - if walked on would make you stumble. The bricks were rough and had small holes - like sponges - absorbable. The wood planks had fine grain, polished - perfect. 

How many times have I walked on uneven ground, because I had not paid attention to wear the right shoes? How many times had I absorbed wrong ideas, because I had not paid attention to where I was? How did I expect to have a fine, polished countenance when I did not spend time with my Lord? 

This Psalm answers those questions in my life and how to continue. Yet, I know, in spite of everything, God has his hand on my life! He gives me His word, to keep me from stumbling, to keep me from taking in the wrong ideas and gives me words of hope for a bright outlook on life.


Psalm 119
Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,
    who walk according to the law of the Lord.
Blessed are those who keep his statutes
    and seek him with all their heart—
they do no wrong
    but follow his ways.
You have laid down precepts
    that are to be fully obeyed.
Oh, that my ways were steadfast
    in obeying your decrees!
Then I would not be put to shame
    when I consider all your commands.
I will praise you with an upright heart
    as I learn your righteous laws.
I will obey your decrees;
    do not utterly forsake me.
How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
    By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.
 Praise be to you, Lord;
    teach me your decrees.
With my lips I recount
    all the laws that come from your mouth.
I rejoice in following your statutes
    as one rejoices in great riches.
I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees;

    I will not neglect your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment