Saturday, March 14, 2015

Peter wandering the woods...

This morning my Mom and I went to an antique store to pick up a couple of things I decided to buy. Peter said he was going to the woods. He loves poking around, watching the birds, naming the trees and looking for treasures. When he had his stroke a few years ago, he had to retire from his job, as arborist for Vanderbilt University. This was a man that was as home in a tree as on the ground. The weakness on his right side kept him from climbing - which he loved to do. He has recovered, somewhat. Peter still can't climb or carry heavy things; but he can walk - and walk he does. Before we moved he was walking at least three miles a day. Now, probably more.

He is happy, in spite of everything - leaving his job and limping a little through life, has been good for him. Peter now has time to read - he will talk to anyone about C.S. Lewis (I am rolling my eyes now)*, G.K. Chesterton and others. He likes to make walking sticks and has gifted many a man or woman with them - they are beautiful. He likes to grocery shop for me, go figure. 

He misses his banjo music, I think he sounds wonderful. But, when you are used to playing 25 miles a minute, 10 miles a minute won't cut it. Peter does continue to practice and I believe God will help him to fully recover. He gets tired, but who doesn't. He doesn't like to stand around, but who does.

He has brought home a deer antler, several rocks for the koi pond area and two days ago wheeled home a tree trunk, again, go figure. Peter is happy, he is loving his life and loving his Lord.

I hope you have a great day at church tomorrow! *I like Lewis, but sometimes Peter likes to run on

Psalm 89:1-19
 I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever;
    with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known
    through all generations.
I will declare that your love stands firm forever,
    that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself.
You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
    I have sworn to David my servant,
‘I will establish your line forever
    and make your throne firm through all generations.’”
The heavens praise your wonders, Lord,
    your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones.
For who in the skies above can compare with the Lord?
    Who is like the Lord among the heavenly beings?
In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared;
    he is more awesome than all who surround him.
Who is like you, Lord God Almighty?
    You, Lord, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you.
You rule over the surging sea;
    when its waves mount up, you still them.
You crushed Rahab like one of the slain;
    with your strong arm you scattered your enemies.
The heavens are yours, and yours also the earth;
    you founded the world and all that is in it.
You created the north and the south;
    Tabor and Hermon sing for joy at your name.
Your arm is endowed with power;
    your hand is strong, your right hand exalted.
Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne;
    love and faithfulness go before you.
Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you,
    who walk in the light of your presence, Lord.
They rejoice in your name all day long;
    they celebrate your righteousness.
For you are their glory and strength,
    and by your favor you exalt our horn.
Indeed, our shield belongs to the Lord,
    our king to the Holy One of Israel.
Once you spoke in a vision,
    to your faithful people you said:
“I have bestowed strength on a warrior;

    I have raised up a young man from among the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment